Re: [TowerTalk] guying distance

To: <cqtestk4xs@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, <grants2@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] guying distance
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 13:15:59 -0500
My guys have been battle tested through two hurricanes and two direct hit
tornadoes and countless ice and wind storms and violent T-storms and
Macrobursts.  As far as I know, the wind gusts have not exceeded ~ 110 mph in
any storm, but with the F1 tornado and Macrobust we also had swirling winds, so
in terms of force and torque I don’t know what that equates to.  Likewise, what
is the overall force of a 70 mph wind gust on antennas and guys with > 1/2” of
radial ice?

The guys are not equivalent in distance from the tower or their overall length,
and their ASL heights relative to the tower base also vary.

You do what you have to do in the hills of Connecticut, land of ledge and
hardpan.   :-)

However, to reduce overall stresses in the system, both towers use a pier pin
and a base plate that can swivel around it on the concrete base which is much
larger than recommended.  The guys also connect go to guy anchors which are in
2 – 3 cu yds of concrete (the holes were MASSIVE).  That of course doesn’t
change the angle but it does help to ensure that the guys won’t pull out in
extreme wx events.   And the top two sets of guys on the 130’ Rohn 45 tower are
star guys.    I believe that my big tower might not have survived without the
star guys.

Thankfully the Hurricane wind gusts have not been Cat 3 or higher (although 110
mph is almost Cat 3)  and the Tornados have not been EF2 or higher.  I’m
reasonably sure that my towers would not have survived that.  I’m hoping that I
never have to find out!

73

Bob  KQ2M