[TowerTalk] Fwd: guying distance

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: guying distance
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 16:30:19 +0000 (UTC)

Just to throw in my ten cents:

I did a calculation once regarding how far out from the tower you should attach
the guy wires. The calculation took into account the springiness of the wires
(Yes, a guy wire stretch like a spring when you pull on it.) I found (I don't
remember the exact value) that if you attached the guy wire ~130% from the
tower you had the smallest movement on the tower due to the spring action of
the wire.

If you think about the extremes a guy wire attached 1) very close to the tower;
a small stretch gives a large movement, 2) very, very far away from the tower:
a small force gives a lot of stretch of all that wire.

Also remember the closer the attachment point is to the tower the more
down-force you will put on the tower.

Further thoughts: I use four guy wires at 90 deg angle as that is less critical
with the angle between the wires and a somewhat smaller tension on each wire
(~10%). I have a square "strong-place" on/in the tower for the attachment of
the four guy wires. That gives an easy attachment for the wires and is
unloading any "pull-apart" forces on the tower.

73 de,

Hans - N2JFS