Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 meter vertical
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2019 10:38:30 -0800
On 1/20/2019 8:37 AM, Bob Shohet, KQ2M wrote:
When I lived in an apartment in Farmingville, NY (Eastern Long Island), I placed my Butternut HF6V vertical near the top of a
hill ~400’ away and fed with 600’ of RG8X.  The slope was about 10 degrees downhill from Northeast to Northwest
from an elevation of ~290’ ASL and ~ 6 degrees uphill to the South – the hilltop was about 400’ behind me
up another 30’ in elevation. I used about 60  1/4 wavelength radials – 40 of which I had pointing downhill.   It
was at the bottom of the sunspot cycle (1987) and I was able to hear and work almost anything in Asia over the pole on 40 and 80
that stations with yagis and 4-squares had trouble hearing.

And that's with 600 ft of RG8X sucking nearly 4 dB on 40M and 2.6 dB on 80!

73, Jim K9YC