[TowerTalk] 80 meter vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] 80 meter vertical
From: Tom Osborne <w7why1@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 18:24:55 -0800
Hi All

I have tried putting  up an 80 meter vertical 3 or 4 times.  No matter what
I do, it is never better than my twinlead fed 80 meter dipole up about 65
feet.. This is both on close in stuff and longer range propagation.

I tried it with the radials on the ground, with the feed point elevated
about 6 - 8 feet with 4 raised radials, and about every combination I can
think of.

I was wondering if living on the side of a 450 foot hill makes a
difference?  The hill slopes down to the bay below my house.

I have a 20 meter HB beam up about 25 feet.  f I walk to the east about 25
feet, and look back, the 20 meter antenna looks like it is about 60 feet
up.  Goes higher as I walk farther east down the hill.

Do verticals work poorly on the side of a hill, or does it make any
difference at all??  Thanks and 73

*Tom W7WHY*