Re: [TowerTalk] The Value of HFTA

To: Máximo EA1DDO_HK1H <ea1ddo@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The Value of HFTA
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 10:40:37 -0600
I remember being at one of Dean’s presentations in Rochester, Minn., and if I
recall correctly, the value in one model was picking the optimal height for all
three tribander bands: I don’t know if it was elitism or what, but he didn’t
seem to understand that some contesters may actually be limited in what they
can put up, because when I asked if the flat-terrain model was showing height x
as a good compromise for the three bands — for contesters able to put up one
antenna only — his response was “but do you want to lose (these peaks)?”

Sometimes it’s not a matter of what you want, it’s a matter of what you can do.

Still, it did seem to me as though going as high as you can go and waiting for
the propagation gods to smile upon you would be a waste of money.

73, kelly, ve4xt