Re: [TowerTalk] The Value of HFTA

To: John Simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] The Value of HFTA
From: Steve Lott <lottsphoto@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 11:09:22 -0600
I do not have Extreme Terrain

But in NE Texas
HFTA
Shows that if I place my 6 el 20m monobander
At 130 feet. Versus 150 feet I will have a better signal into EU and JA

My Tower will therefore be 150 feet with a 40m 4el at the top and 20 feet
lower is the 20m beam

Why. ?

Looking at HFTA is shows
Topography That is immediately not apparent

Bottom line I recommend use of HFTA
To anyone that invest even in a simple tower install

Cheers!
Steve
KG5VK

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 10:58 AM John Simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>
wrote:

> I think some of you are missing an important point about HFTA: In some
> cases, as high as you can go may not be what you want to do. If you have
> an extreme slope in one direction, you may only want to be up 35' or so.
> You have to do the simulations to see. And no, I don't have multiple
> towers. Remember, not everyone lives in the flatlands.
>
> 73,
> -John NI0K
>
> Kelly Taylor wrote on 1/21/2019 10:40 AM:
> > I remember being at one of Dean’s presentations in Rochester, Minn., and
> if I recall correctly, the value in one model was picking the optimal
> height for all three tribander bands: I don’t know if it was elitism or
> what, but he didn’t seem to understand that some contesters may actually be
> limited in what they can put up, because when I asked if the flat-terrain
> model was showing height x as a good compromise for the three bands — for
> contesters able to put up one antenna only — his response was “but do you
> want to lose (these peaks)?”
> >
> > Sometimes it’s not a matter of what you want, it’s a matter of what you
> can do.
> >
> > Still, it did seem to me as though going as high as you can go and
> waiting for the propagation gods to smile upon you would be a waste of
> money.
> >
> > 73, kelly, ve4xt
> >
> >> On Jan 21, 2019, at 9:39 AM, Máximo EA1DDO_HK1H <ea1ddo@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm a firm believer modeling, as well.
> >> I use 4NEC2, Mmana & Eznec, and I trust them too.
> >>
> >> 73, Maximo

​*Steven Lott Smith - Your Candidate for NTX Section manager*
*I will bring more Information & Education to my fellow North Texas ARRL
Members*
*"Education - the way for ​our​ Section with active amateurs to have More
fun and Enjoy our great hobby"*
http://sdxa.blogspot.com/
​KG5VK Blog​
http://www.KG5VK.com