Re: [TowerTalk] Weatherproof Remote Antenna Switch Box Plus

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weatherproof Remote Antenna Switch Box Plus
From: Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 13:44:00 -0800
For a second what it's worth.

I live at 8,000 feet elevation in the Sierra Nevada. We get tons of snow
(420 inches so far this winter), ferocious winds, heavy rain at times, and
large variations in humidity.

For a couple years, I had an antenna-switching large open-frame relay
mounted inside a Tupperware-type box on my back wall. Coax and control
cables went through the bottom of the box. Holes for these cables were
tight but not waterproof. Additionally I had a weep hole in the bottom. The
box was waterproof, but the bottom holes allowed water vapor entry and exit
as ambient conditions dictated. Coax connectors inside the box were wrapped
in Rescue Tape.

I never had any problems. After two years my needs changed and I took the
box down. Relay and coax connectors were like new, bright and shinny.

Tupperwear is a lot cheaper than Hoffman boxes.

Ham Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX