Re: [TowerTalk] Repairing/replacing a damaged feedline

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Repairing/replacing a damaged feedline
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 19:30:43 -0700
I would replace the entire length, then use the good section(s) for other runs. Or keep as spare. The reason is that I like to avoid unnecessary splices, which I view as another place the line can accumulate moisture.

Of course, you use a sweeping antenna analyzer the produces complex data and can export it. I would then make measurements of that line in the shack, disconnected from the antenna, with the far end open, and again with the far end shorted. Then export that data to AC6LA's excellent Excel ZPlots spreadsheet, which will plot loss, Zo, and VF as a function of frequency.

If you have access to an analyzer that can perform TDR sweeps to at least 500 MHz (1 GHz better), you can see relatively small defects along the line. I've done that with my VNWA. And you can do that without disconnecting from the antenna!

73, Jim K9YC