Re: [TowerTalk] Hornet Nest on the End of the Boom - How do you safely g

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hornet Nest on the End of the Boom - How do you safely get rid of this?
From: Zoli Pitman HA1AG via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 15:23:42 +0000 (UTC)
Hello Bob,

The best way to deal with them is to leave them alone. I suspect you are not
lingering around your 105CA's boom end often.

Most common wasps are predatory creatures but their diet excludes humans unless
they find a sufficiently decomposed body. They hunt flies, Mosquitos and lice
laerve to feed their own laervae.  Those things are more annoying than wasps in
your boom and wasps decimate them efficiently. They feed themselves on nectar.
If you really wanna be a nice guy with them, place a small tray with sugar
water far away your porch or terrace and they will never come to fight your
evening beer.

Their vision is very bad but they sense motion of air and smells. So keep your
motions slow and under control and take care of your hygiene when you need to
work close to them.

They will all die naturally when winter comes and the overwintering queen will
leave the nest. When that happens spray a bit of wd40 into your boom ends and
they will never return there next year.

73,

zoli ha1ag

ps: This advice is given with solely good intentions. I know that your QTH is
exposed to Nature's extremes so I will not accept any liability if you get
killed by any mutant killer wasps endemic to Newtown, CT.

This is a first at my station....  a large Hornet Nest on the end of the Boom
of my lowest Hygain 105CA (5L 10 meter Yagi) on my 100’ Rohn 45 tower.

The nest is located on the underside of the end of the boom (24’ long) and 1st
director, which puts the nest about 12‘ from the center of the tower and 23’
above ground.

Does anyone have any experience successfully dealing with this situation?  I
would appreciate learning how you killed the hornets and got rid of the nest
without getting hurt or doing anything dangerous.

Tnx & 73

Bob KQ2M