Re: [TowerTalk] High VSWR

To: "'Glenn Pritchard'" <gpritchard7000@gmail.com>, "'Wes'" <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] High VSWR
From: <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 18:51:24 -0400
What an incredible story. That is one heck of a piece of hardware. Very sorry
to see what happened, but it does look recoverable, at least to some extent.

I have a question about the hoisting configuration. The discrepancy between the
manual's 6000 lbs of force to hoist the mast and antenna versus what Doug
computed and actually found (e.g., the truck tipping), is disturbing. What I
don't understand is the angle of the hoist rope to the tower on the winch side.
My understanding is that the force increases as the angle increases, so that
the least amount of force is required when you pull straight down. Does the
manual recommend the large angle, and if so why would that be?

Seems to me that it would be best for the hoist rope to run straight down the
tower to a winch mounted there (which is where I mount the winch I use to tram
antennas up my tower), or to another pulley mounted at the base, which would
turn the rope horizontal so it can be mounted to a truck that would drive in
away from the tower to hoist the mast. Or, it could run to the fixed winch Doug
installed. No doubt, a beefy pulley and mount would be required for this, but I
believe it would significantly increase the mechanical advantage.

My understanding is that properly chosen and installed wire clips should have
held, but personally I prefer a swaged sleeve (perhaps, in a case like this,
with wire clips for belt and suspenders). Depends on whether the mount for the
loop at the mast can be opened or disconnected without having to disassemble
the wire rope termination.

I'm also perplexed by the diameter of the U-bolts securing the largest
elements. They look pretty skimpy to me (nearby bolts are much heftier.) My
"little" Cal-AV 2D-40A, with two full-size elements, has much beefier U-bolts.
And if only one pair of U-bolts secures each of those massive elements, I'd
question the design.

73, Dick WC1M