Re: [TowerTalk] Clamp on ground resistance meter

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Clamp on ground resistance meter
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 11:14:50 -0700
On 9/29/2019 11:51 AM, Julio Peralta via TowerTalk wrote:
Does anyone have any experience using a clamp on ground resistance meter?

My consulting practice in the design of large sound systems bought an expensive unit (about $2K 20 years ago) that worked in the range of 2 kHz. It stayed on my shelf when I closed the business about ten years ago. https://www.aemc.com/userfiles/files/resources/applications/ground/APP_Fall-of-Potential.pdf

Virtually all ground resistance measurements I'm aware of are done at either power or audio frequency.

Note that, except for some receiving antennas, the sole reason for an earth connection is safety, primarily lightning, but also from issues with mains power distribution. An earth connection does NOT make antennas work better, nor does it reduce noise. What DOES matter a LOT is proper bonding of all the grounds in a home or other building.

73, Jim K9YC