Re: [TowerTalk] Clamp on ground resistance meter

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Clamp on ground resistance meter
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2019 22:08:50 -0700
On 10/6/2019 9:45 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:
Approximately.  The meter is measuring the sampled leg against the parallel resistance of the other two legs (if there is no other connection).  So if the reference parallel resistance is low then the error for the measured leg is low. (but always positive)

An over-simplification, because there is mutual inductive coupling between nearby rods. All the instruments I've seen for this purpose work at power or audio frequency, but lightning is an RF event! IEEE data I've seen says that the energy has a very broad peak (+/- a decade of frequency) in the AM broadcast band. I'm sure Jim Lux can provide more definitive data on this.

73, Jim K9YC