Re: [TowerTalk] Clamp on ground resistance meter

To: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Clamp on ground resistance meter
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 13:46:44 -0700
The loop you want to measure is the single rod through the earth to multiple rods or a very low R ground such as a building Ufer.

Start with two rods connected with a wire, put the meter on that wire, measure R. The assumption is that each rod has a resistance of R/2. When you install the 10th rod the assumption is that the nine already placed, connected together, and connected by a single wire to rod #10 have a much lower parallel resistance than the new rod. Of course there is some residual error, but if you go back and measure them one at a time, one against nine, you will get close approximate resistances of each rod. Then these values can be computed as parallel resistances for a close approximation of the net ground field resistance.

This is why a star layout of rods and connecting wires that looks like a vertical antenna radial field is easy to measure, one rod at a time. OTOH, if you have a perimeter wire, the meter will measure the wire resistance of that loop.

Plus such a layout is the way to minimize the paralleled inductance.

Grant KZ1W