[TowerTalk] Need a Knot Expert

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need a Knot Expert
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 09:40:19 -0500
I am trying to figure out the best knot to use to tie two ends of 3/16" Dacron rope together such that when I am left the two ends will not come apart, and will leave me a loop to work with so I can attach the end of a wire antenna etc.

If I may explain in further detail.....I have a tower and I have a HD 4' horizontal pipe extending out from the tower both on the very top and down near the bottom.

On each pipe end will be attached a pulley and between the top pulley and the bottom pulley will be a continuous "loop" of rope. I wish to make my loop through the pulleys then at ground level tie the two ends together so the rope is fairly tight but that I also end up with a nice ~4" or 5" loop.

Kind of like a flag pole where you can attach the flag at ground level then pull up the flag and never have to worry about loosing the end of the rope off the pulley etc.

I will be attaching the end of a dipole etc to that knot-loop and there may be as much as 30 pounds of tension on it.

Anyone have a good solid knot that will let me do that and that will not come loose?

Gedas, W8BYA

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....