Re: [TowerTalk] XHHW wire

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XHHW wire
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 10:30:37 -0800
On 2/24/20 9:51 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:

The clamps shown in the photo do sort of look like they
might be steel, but I know at least the ones I use are
100% aluminum.  I don't have splices every 100 feet
like Bob does.  The 1000 ft run used two 1000 foot
spools of wire.   There are only clamps at the ends.

I will agree with you that the clamps will lose their
grip in a few years, "I guarantee it".  In the 20 year history of this line I have had to retighten them every few years.  I can
live with this minor issue.  It's not the big deal like
it would be in a 200 amp 60 Hz feeder.

I would think that a properly crimped aluminum ferrule splice connection would last essentially forever. I'm pretty sure that's what they use for overhead power distribution wiring on the primary (HV) side, and I think once crimped they last for decades. Granted a lot of that might be aluminum clad steel, but still, aluminum is aluminum.

I've used AWG2 splices, and I think they have smaller ones, but maybe not as small as AWG8 or AWG10. The electrical splices are kind of expensive (compared to the ferrules you use for steel cable) because they're filled with goop. I'd definitely want to find 1000 ft spools of wire rather than buying 20 splices at a couple bucks each, and then applying the muscle power to do the crimps.

For what it's worth, with biggish copper wires (AWG 10 through AWG 2), crimped lugs and a single bolt works better than a split bolt, in the long run.

Once you've invested in the big lever arm tool (I have a manual one which I use mostly for steel cable), it's a matter of getting the right die set, and then it's pretty quick.

But for big cables (2/0, for instance) I go to a place that does welding and battery cables. They have the lugs, and a big hydraulic crimper that does a perfect crimp every time in a few seconds. I have soldered 2/0 fine strand welding cable ONCE, and I will never do that again.