Re: [TowerTalk] XHHW wire

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] XHHW wire
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 07:18:49 -0600
Is the PVC insulation coming off? I have never seen this occur, even in Aruba. Typically just the nylon coating over the PVC that reduces friction and makes it more chemical resistant starts peeling off. You can buy bare wire in any size, I use it for ground radials. I believe that K9YC uses heavy AWG bare copper and pre-stretches it for antenna wire.

John KK9A

Steve Bookout nr4m.com wrote:

Very timely post!

For years, I've had a 4 element 80 delta loop array suspended from a
catenary stretched between two 190 foot towers.

I used THHN when I built it, but with time, the insulation is coming off
the wire.  I know that when I designed it, I had taken the velocity
factor into account WITH the PVC wire insulation.

Now, that I am losing my insulation, I have been looking for a better
alternative to the THHN wire.  Is this it?

Can anyone comment on the difference in the insulating material?   PVC
vs ???   And, maybe the difference in the dielectric constant f/u/w EZNEC?

This is my 'bread and butter' EU antenna.

Comments appreciated.

73 de Steve, NR4M