Re: [TowerTalk] Opening Steel Hardwre AFter 15 Years

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Opening Steel Hardwre AFter 15 Years
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 15:00:45 -0700
Agree that there are different sizes of "wire" and ways to install them and I wasn't clear about that.

Anti-rotation safety wires (usually 0.032" stainless solid) don't do anything if the turnbuckle breaks, they just keep it from unscrewing. I would also add that I've found jam nuts on boom guy turnbuckles that had loosened and on sailboat standing rigging turnbuckle bodies unscrewed to the limit of the several passes of safety wire. The lockwasher literature shows jam nuts don't work very well with cyclic loads. Antenna towers and sailboat masts behave pretty much the same.

Safety cables through the associated guy thimble and anchor rod eye if correctly sized and installed should retain a slacked guy from a broken or unscrewed turnbuckle body or rods and hopefully keep the tower from collapsing. My safety cables (EHS) are a figure 8 loop through the anchor rod eye, guy thimble, and the turnbuckle body, so they do both jobs. Since the tower is double guyed at every level, one safety cable is used for two turnbuckles. Since the EHS is doubled it has twice the break strength of the guy EHS, less the tight bend radius factor (-25% w/o a thimble?), but it needs to work only long enough to fix the guy.

My safety philosophy for my 157' 8 yagi tower
 is admittedly belt and suspenders.

Grant KZ1W