Re: [TowerTalk] Opening Steel Hardwre AFter 15 Years

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Opening Steel Hardwre AFter 15 Years
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 07:13:50 -0500
It has been a few years since I purchase cable clamps, at the time one company sent me zinc plated ones so I re-purchased them at another tower supply company and got galvanized ones. McMaster-Carr still lists galvanized ones on their site. I use turnbuckles with a much higher rating than my Phillystran so it is not the weak link in the system. Safety wires are just to prevent unscrewing, you do not see them on shackles or other parts of the guy system. I concur with K8LX that unscrewing from vibration is very unlikely with the rough galvanized threads under hundreds to over a thousand pounds of tension for ham towers. I need a tools to unscrew mine, especially after they have sit for a while in the weather.

John KK9A

Steve Maki wrote:

The purpose of the safety wire is to prevent vandals from unscrewing the
turnbuckle. Some say that it's also to prevent the turnbuckle from
unscrewing due to vibration - but I've never seen that tendency in
turnbuckles under guy wire tension.

Properly sized turnbuckles are not the weak link in the system - it's
the guy wire itself.

-Steve K8LX