Re: [TowerTalk] Opening Steel Hardwre AFter 15 Years

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Opening Steel Hardwre AFter 15 Years
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 21:16:20 -0500
I ran into the same problem when I replaced my tower last year. I used Big Grips on the guys, but wanted to use cable clamps on the safety wire through the turnbuckles, which was to be 3/16 EHS. Except for some bare iron ones, none of the clamps I could find were rated for 1X7 EHS; all were rated for 7X19, etc, with more strands.  I think the key is that the saddles have to be malleable, because it's impossible to compress 1X7 EHS. (Ever try to cut the stuff?)  I finally ended up buying some finely stranded SS cable and clamps for the safety wires. Overkill, maybe, but if a turnbuckle fails, I want the safety wire to hold the tower up.

73,
Scott K9MA