Re: [TowerTalk] Opening Steel Hardwre AFter 15 Years

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Opening Steel Hardwre AFter 15 Years
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 12:16:21 -0700
On 4/15/20 9:02 AM, Steve Maki wrote:
On 04/15/20 11:31 AM, Grant Saviers wrote:

For a few dollars, safety wires seem to me to be a good value insurance, but YMMV for risk taking.

Absolutely. I was only gently correcting the common notion that turnbuckle safety wires are to keep a tower from falling if the turnbuckle *breaks*.

Which it (the safety wire) certainly will NOT do unless it's installed way differently than is common practice.

For that, I've seen a short cable with crimped loops on the end, or a big loop, that's connected "in parallel" with the turnbuckle (not through the turnbuckle eyes, but through the loops that mate with the turnbuckle eyes. I can't say that it would save anything, but maybe it would. You've got all the "small radius bend" problems.

It might be purely a psychological crutch.