Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower 72 ft crank up grinds to a standstill

To: Alan Swinger <awswinger@earthlink.net>, FritzOAQ <fritz@k4oaq.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower 72 ft crank up grinds to a standstill
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 14:46:50 -0700
AFAIK, the M2/Orion is the only rotator that can
fit within a UST #4 section AND also has the
strength to turn a DB-36.  It is entirely possible
to fool yourself and mount a rotator into a tower
thinking it will work, only to have a problem
of interference during rotation or extention.
Been there, done that.

There is also a possibility that a cross brace
is bent inward enough to catch on the rotator.
My used HDX5106 at some time (not sure if before
or after I bought it) suffered a bent brace, limiting
its height to 70 feet.  I had to build a special jig
to bend it back out using a bottle jack.

Rick N6RK