Re: [TowerTalk] Do I need an insulator on the ends of my dipole?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Do I need an insulator on the ends of my dipole?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 12:30:09 -0700
I've used the Budwig HQ-2 in a number of antennas, Rx and Tx at QRO and found they hold up well, even in DXpedition use seaside with the deep ribs. I use a 4mm "paracord" bow shackle ($8 for 5) from ebay, pin thru the hole, since it is too small for most ropes. A downside is they appear to be made of a thermoset plastic so it doesn't take much banging around to chip a rib. Plenty strong otherwise.

Related, the 6" stock fishing line at the end of a crankIR vertical or radial would melt when salt accumulated on them and they arced over. So HQ-2's solved that problem. Screw in electric fence "wood post ring insulators" rated for 5kv pulses, also arced placed along radials. The 5" long yellow plastic ones have held up on my 160m elevated radials.

Grant KZ1W