Re: [TowerTalk] How to fix crooked Rohn 45G short base?

To: Les Kalmus <w2lk@bk-lk.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How to fix crooked Rohn 45G short base?
From: Gary K9GS <k9gs@gjschwartz.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 10:17:53 -0500
It's a 40 ft self supporting tower so pier pin won't work. I like Grant's
idea...just try an excavator and pull the base out.73,Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: Les Kalmus <w2lk@bk-lk.com> Date:
7/4/20  10:07 AM  (GMT-06:00) To: towertalk@contesting.com Subject: Re:
[TowerTalk] How to fix crooked Rohn 45G short base? A better approach might be
to use a pier pin. Cut the existing base flush with the concrete. Get a Rohn
bottom plate made for a pier pin and a pin. Then drill a hole in the center of
the concrete and epoxy in the pin.  You're ready to go. See this link for an
example:https://www.dxengineering.com/search/part-type/tower-base-plates/product-line/rohn-pier-pin-tower-base-plates?autoview=SKU&sortby=Default&sortorder=AscendingYou'll
 probably have to replace the section you had embedded and cut but this will
give you a "by the book" tower base.Les W2LKOn 7/4/2020 10:55 AM, Grant Saviers
wrote:> I've made joiners and bottom plates for different tower sections for >
Field Day, R25 to aluminum etc.>> The Rohn leg bolts hold in shear so larger
holes are not a good answer.>> Getting two plates made with welded on pin and
socket, that can be > shimmed to correct the angle makes sense as a solution,
but needs a > lot of strength as you noted.  I would go with the shimmed
plates.  > Have them galvanized.>> For starting over, there are expanding
grouts (Dexpan) that break up > concrete.  Drill deep holes, mix and pour.
Removing concrete with > rebar/tower section will be a PITA.  A big excavator
might pull it > straight out whole.  I'd try that first.  Or Dexpan to break
off the > exterior then pull.>> Grant KZ1W>>>> On 7/4/2020 06:46, Blake
Sobiloff via TowerTalk wrote:>> Hi guys,>>>> Due to the property lines and
terrain I don’t have room to pour >> another one next to the existing one, so
jackhammering out the >> current one may be the only option.>>>> Some others
have suggested drilling new bolt holes to make the first >> section plumb. That
seems like the easiest option, but I worry that >> (depending on how close the
new holes are to the existing holes) that >> will weaken the tower right where
the majority of the bending stress >> is focused. I admit I’m naive about these