Re: [TowerTalk] VERTICALS NEAR SALT WATER

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] VERTICALS NEAR SALT WATER
From: Mark - N5OT <r-emails@n5ot.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 18:29:20 -0500
Sounds like there are better answers now than there were back when I was scratching my head in Belize.

I gotta say I loved that 300' dock, and it just seemed to play like magic.  But nobody would agree that it would play as well in any direction except straight out to sea.  The verticals were maybe a wavelength or two from the shore, but the USA was not in the direction back down the dock, it was just not over the open sea.  But there was probably 500-1000 feet of salt water in front of the antenna toward the USA.  According to today's comments, I had accomplished the goal but I didn't know it and was unsure.

I like these answers better, thanks, but alas I retired that station.

FYI one or two elevated radials per band, based on the real-life experiences of my friend Dave N2NL who was stationed in Key West for 3 years and got to do some serious experimenting over a long period of time.

73 - Mark N5OT