Re: [TowerTalk] Can 1/4" or 3/8" Andrew SUPERFLEX be used for a Rotor lo

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Can 1/4" or 3/8" Andrew SUPERFLEX be used for a Rotor loop?
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 17:33:02 -0400
That would probably be a bad idea. First of all I am not sure that Superflex
could really take that much continuous flexing. There was a post on this
list by a tower company owner who said they never use FSJ outdoors.  I have
some FSJ4 jumpers outside and have not had any issues but if I were to do it
again I would take his advice.  The jacket it thinner than LDF and the
spiral could allow any water ingress to flow into the connector below.  I
use RG-213 for rotator loops.

73,
John KK9A

K9OM wrote:

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully used 1/4" or 3/8" Andrew SUPERFLEX
all the way from your shack to the antenna, including forming the rotor
loop?  I'd like to use a one piece Superflex cable from the shack to the my
VHF antenna including having it form the rotor loop.  I'd locate a large
rotor loop in the middle of the rotor rotation range so the most the
Superflex would ever have to move is 180 degrees.
Please advise if this can be done with SuperFlex?
Thanks & 73,
Dick- K9OM