Re: [TowerTalk] Buried HF/VHF feedlines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buried HF/VHF feedlines
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 10:16:24 -0700
On 7/24/2020 11:17 PM, Jonathan - KE0YBL via TowerTalk wrote:
Herein lies the rub -- my climber's experience has been (and probably yours as
well) that directly burying this in our frozen tundra eventually results in
crushed cable through thawing and freezing.

I don't have the cold weather issues here in coastal California, and there's no human activity where cables run from my shack to my two towers, so all cables, both hard line and control lines, are laying on the ground. Same for flooded coax from RX antennas. Neighbor K6XX, with a station much larger than mine, has done the same for twice as many years. One of his runs is ~750 ft, and is larger hard line. Control line for the rotator for my most distant tower is indoor AC cable, spliced at the tower base to something much smaller that goes up the tower.

In ten years, the only issue I've had was a year ago, when varmints chewed a control cable for my SteppIR. That happened after that cable was re-routed under a newly built deck, where rabbits promptly moved in.

73, Jim K9YC