Re: [TowerTalk] Buried HF/VHF feedlines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buried HF/VHF feedlines
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 11:17:30 -0700
On 7/25/20 10:00 AM, David Gilbert wrote:

I understand all of that.  Water vapor will penetrate the walls of the conduit and condense inside, or as you say, get inside via air flow through the conduit.  But why is that a problem for the Heliax inside the conduit?  Assuming the conduit is below the frost line, of course.

Oh, for heliax, no problem, except there was a comment about a splice.
And, it's not unusual for there to be a crack in the heliax shield - it won't have any detectable effect on the loss (any more than the gaps in braid). If you pressurize it, you'll see the slow pressure loss, maybe - the outer plastic jacket holds pressure pretty well, and you might just attribute it to leaks at the connectors. It's also a well known problem with flex waveguide.

You might see it on a TDR (or a synthetic TDR from a swept measurement) if you flex it to open the crack a bit. But you might not.

OTOH, there are plenty of people who directly bury heliax (and similar cables) and have no problems.

At W6VIO (the JPL club station) we did have a situation with our heliax going from the shack up to the antennas on the hill behind the shack winding up filled with water. But I don't know if that was leaky connectors (atmospheric breathing) or cracks in the shield, or what. They were on the surface of the soil, and were exposed to rain, sprinklers, etc. as well as potential animal gnawing.

Mike W4EF might remember the history of the water in the cables.

73,
Dave   AB7E