Re: [TowerTalk] Buried HF/VHF feedlines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buried HF/VHF feedlines
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 13:48:43 -0700
There should be a saying - "there is no such thing as too large a coax junction box." ;) Antennas & towers seem to propagate after a few years. I absolutely wouldn't used buried boxes.

If you are pulling Heliax then a big box is needed to manage the bend radius. It takes at least 3 folks to pull it - reel payout, conduit feeder and lubricant applier, and puller. More if you are pulling several cables. Maybe a capstan for a long pull. The flat pull tape is cheap, strong, doesn't twist, and easy to attach. Klein pulling grips with swivels are the pro approach to the cable or bundle attach point. Buy the large radius conduit sweeps (90d elbows) 24" minimum. Two 90d is the usual maximum, if more bends are needed then they need to be very large radius. There are heat sleeves made to bend schedule 40 PVC, it takes a bit of practice to get it soft enough to bend but not toasted (really, it turns brown) PVC.

My favorite end junction box (other than a small shed) is an office counter height steel cabinet. Only the already welded ones which cost a little bit more. Available in 48" and 36" wide. Toss the shelf. A couple of coats of exterior latex and my 48" has no rust and no water inside after 4 years. Easy to cut holes with common hole saws for the conduit hubs. Chafe collars are a must (I've demonstrated why). I now have a 36" on order to replace a fiberglass real enclosure that is too small for a new tower conduits.

The Carlon boxes 4x4 to 12x12" are ok for control cables/AC. Electrical enclosures are available in a huge range of sizes but bring your wallet. A new 48" fiberglass likely more than $1k vs $300 for the office cab. Used ones with wrong holes are easy to fix with 1/4" acrylic and caulking.

Grant KZ1W