Re: [TowerTalk] Buried HF/VHF feedlines

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buried HF/VHF feedlines
From: Jonathan - KE0YBL via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 19:15:59 +0000
Overhead is a novel idea, but probably won't work in this instance. Trees,
corners, angles, and an attempt to keep things aesthetic. I'd consider
above-ground, but it'd always be in the way. I speak from experience, I
currently have several runs of RG-213 and LMR400 across the grass to my current
stuff. :)

Local soil conditions aren't an issue here -- rich black soil down to clay a
few feet down. No junk in the soil to be concerned about. Perhaps that's
another vote for direct bury without conduit.

With regards to fiber, I've put in thousands of feet of direct bury fiber in
this area without issue, some from even the early days and still fine. I'm not
too concerned with that -- it's the magical crushing of RF cable that I don't
have experience with (but my climber does). However, I'm not sure I've heard
that from you fine folks.

Jonathan