Re: [TowerTalk] Mast slippage

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mast slippage
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 07:55:13 -0500

Unfortunately there are a lot of poor quality tools being sold to consumers, I do not know what kind of steel they are mode out of. I bought a metric tap once at Northern Tool and it twisted up on the first hole. Heat treated high speed steel tools will not twist with a hand tapping wrench. If you really want quality drills go to the industrial sites like MSC Direct. HSS drills should be fine for most steels. If you buy carbide tipped drills make sure that they are for drilling steel and not concrete, which has a different point style. Be careful not to jam the bit and break the carbide point.

John KK9A

K9MA wrote:

After recently ruining several drill bits trying to drill through a cast
iron fence post, I discovered there are carbide tipped bits for drilling
metal. I haven't tried them on anything, let alone cro-moly, but they
might work.

73,

Scott K9MA

--