Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Rope

To: "'Richard \(Rick\) Karlquist'" <richard@karlquist.com>, "'William Osborne'" <wosborne44@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Rope
From: "Tim Duffy" <k3lr@k3lr.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 14:22:31 -0400
Hello Bill:

As Rick points out - Copperweld is very strong and the outside copper coating
keeps the loss low. I have used it for 25 years for my 160 meter parasitic
elements - it does not break. That being said - after 4 to 5 years - the copper
coating starts to go away - so I replace it as a regular maintenance item -
every 4 years.
Be careful not to nick Copperweld wire. A nick will allow moisture to
contaminate the steel wire core - rust will occur and failure will happen as a
result.

73
Tim K3LR