Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Rope

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Rope
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 20:30:51 -0500
Anyone who has ever tried to manage solid number 12 copperweld can appreciate the advantages of stranded. Even solid 14 and 16 are hard to handle. However, as noted, stranded copperweld doesn't last long, though I suppose it depends how thick the copper is.

My wire antennas, an 80 m dipole and a 40 m full wave, are now 18 AWG solid copperweld. Those antennas were hard drawn copper AWG 14 for 29 years, with only one break, but I figured there had to be fatigue by then. (I bought that wire in Finland in 1976.) The AWG 18 copperweld isn't hard to handle, and it's very strong, surely stronger than the copper was.

73,
Scott K9MA