Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Rope

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Rope
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 20:51:16 -0400
Anyone that uses temporary wire antennas would prefer stranded over solid.
There are many opinions on Copperweld wire for amateur radio.  Some
differences may be environment, I tried it in Aruba and the steel quickly
rusted and the wire became very fragile. Besides stranded vs solid,
Copperweld is available in many different sized, from 2AWG to 24AWG and the
steel can be high or low carbon. It would be beneficial to see the specifics
of the Copperweld wire that is working for antennas.  I have had excellent
results with inexpensive 14AWG solid THHN for temporary stuff.

John KK9A

Jim Lux wrote:

I'm sort of surprised they even sell stranded copperclad steel.. who
uses such things?

single strand copperclad has been around for more than a century - miles
of telephone wires on poles, for instance.