Re: [TowerTalk] solid THHN vs jacketed copperweld

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] solid THHN vs jacketed copperweld
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 16:59:28 -0700
On 9/19/2022 2:56 PM, Steve Maki wrote:
difference between #12 solid THHN and #12 PVC jacketed copperweld (steel) in terms of cutting a dipole

Hi Steve,

Many years ago, our mutual friend David Josephson, WA6NMF, taught me to buy bare #8 solid copper at the big box store and stretch it to approximate #9 hard drawn copper. Over the years, W6GHJB and I have done that 3-4 times. We use it for all of our wires under tension. In addition to pretty good strength much nicer handling than copperweld, I don't have to lower the dipoles and circumcise them every few years, as I did with one that was built with THHN.

We use copper split-bolts for connections.

73, Jim K9YC