Re: [TowerTalk] Repurposing Phillystran.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Repurposing Phillystran.
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 00:33:02 -0400
Jim,

Depending on your particular situation, have you considered using a shackle as a coupler?

-Steve K8LX

On 10/15/2022 12:13 AM, James M. Galm wrote:
Can a new big grip be applied to a Phillystran guy in the same place where
one was removed?

I am rebuilding a set of PS guy cable assemblies.  To accommodate new
hardware, I need to remove the big grips from twelve lengths of HPTG-6700I,
and put new big grips on with different hardware threaded through the loop.
PLP says that I should not reuse the big grips that were in place for
several years.  But what about the three foot length of PS that used to be
under the BG?

When a BG is removed from PS, it leaves behind grit and plastic remains.
These can be removed with a rag and some mineral spirits, leaving the black
polyurethane jacket fairly clean.  Is it OK to apply a new preformed BG to
the same three feet of PS?

As a side question, if I were to unwind just the long end of the big grip,
leaving the short end on the PS undisturbed, thread a new fitting on the
loop, and rewind the long end, would I have a useful termination that would
meet spec?  I suspect that the answer is no, but what do others think?

Thanks in advance and 73,

Jim, W8WTS