Re: [TowerTalk] Repurposing Phillystran.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Repurposing Phillystran.
From: M Gerber <wh7w.us@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 08:30:09 -1000
I might check with Hubbell/Chance regarding the use of their fiberglass guy
strains on a rotating tower if the devices in the link below are what you
are planning to use.

https://www.hubbell.com/hubbellpowersystems/en/Products/Power-Utilities/Line-Construction-Hardware/Guy-Strains/c/561514

Those guy strains look very robust, but I would suggest they are designed
to be used for static guy wires that only see lateral stress at the clevis
fitting primarily as a result of aeolian vibration. When a rotating tower
starts to move, I would expect there is a more significant lateral load on
the fiberglass junction at the crimped/glued clevis fitting. The repetitive
lateral force that may occur at that junction every time the tower rotates
is of concern to me. The fiberglass fibers in the rod are super strong in
linear tensile loading, but my suspicion is the fibers do not do as well in
lateral bending.

I do not claim to be an expert and hate to pour cold water on your plans.
If you feel you want to insulate the Philly Big Grip from the K0XG torque
arm, the DXE Bent Pin Clevis is likely a reasonable option. I, too, have a
K0XG rotating tower and have plans to replace the fiberglass polygon rod
guys. My reason is more related to the fact that I can visibly see
UV/weather effects on the polygon rod which has me concerned.  It appears
Hubbell has those guy strains available with a silicone coating, which you
may want to consider if you opt to use them. I bit the bullet and
purchased  the Bent Pin Shackles and new Philly a while back in
anticipation of the planned work ahead at my station.

GL/73

Mark WH7W/WH7T