Re: [TowerTalk] Repurposing Phillystran.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Repurposing Phillystran.
From: "James M. Galm" <jim@w8wts.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 22:16:13 -0400
Hi John,

You are correct.  I am rebuilding the tower and antennas that were in North
Port, FL.  I am going to insulate the tower and torque arms from the
Phillystran big grips, utilizing all new parts and virgin Phillystran.

Thanks and 73,

Jim, W8WTS

I would have cut the guys off the rings when dismantling the tower to insure

that the Phillystran was not damaged. I believe your tower was originally in

Florida and you're in Ohio. Depending on the frequency of the antenna(s)

near the rotating ring, insulators may or may not be helpful. Just cut off a

few feet of Phillystran and install new grips on previously un-gripped

cable, I have done this myself without issue. I had to frequently replace

the Big Grips at my P40A station due to corrosion and I have also done it

when moving a tower. Compared to all of the other costs with your project,

$350 for Big Grips is very minor.

GL

John KK9A