Topband: SteppIR Yagi's and Topband

Greg - ZL3IX zl3ix at inet.net.nz
Sun Nov 2 10:18:12 EST 2003

There was a reference on this Reflector a few months back from someone who
used a SteppIR yagi as top loading for his mast on 160m.  I would be
interested to hear from anyone else who has done this.

I am particularly interested in whether the high RF fields and currents
present when a mast is used as a vertical on 160m have any detrimental
effect on the SteppIR controller, motors etc.  I also understand that the
steppIR uses a switch mode supply.  Are there any birdies from this on 160m?

Any other comments would be welcome.  My intention is to try top feeding the
mast and using the SteppIR yagi as variable capacitive loading for the
series inductor.

73, Greg, ZL3IX