Topband: CQWW

Mike Harris mike.harris at horizon.co.fk
Sun Nov 30 12:35:50 EST 2003

G'day,

CQWW topband a bit quiet down this way.  Mainly SA in the shape of XQ, CX,
PY and LU's.  HC8N was good copy 0210-0220 1824.5 on the 29th.

30th seemed even quieter, nothing heard so switched on the audio DSP noise
reduction in the K2 for a play and suddenly down there was PT5A working KX5R
(0208 1819.0) both difficult copy but without the DSP no copy, or at least I
wouldn't have been able to extract the calls.

I find the noise reduction a bit spooky, knocks out virtually all the
background noise so the receiver sounds deaf, however, I wouldn't have heard
the two gents above without it and also saves your ear drums by lessening
the fatiguing background QRN.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO (IOTA SA-002)
K2/100 #1400