Topband: Bury beverage wire?

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Wed Jan 17 13:01:26 EST 2018

Hi Martin,

Matching transformers aren't necessary for your 160 meter Beverage
b ecause your coax is only five meters long, b ut its probably best to
use a pair of transformers. I ts likely that the loss in the matching
transformers will be very slightly greater than the mismatch loss
through only five meters of coax. If you don't use transformers,
use 75 ohm high velocity factor foam dielectric coax such as RG-6
cable TV coax.

If you use matching transformers, it isn't necessary to precisely
match them to the Beverage, a pair of 6:1 transformers will work fine
with 75 ohm coax. Because one dB of additional loss isn't a significant
consideration in a 160 meter Beverage, you can use either a binocular
core or toroid ferrite core with either isolated windings or auto
transformer winding. It isn't worth the trouble of building low
loss transmission line transformers for Beverage antennas.

The antenna side of each matching transformer must be connected to a
ground rod. Grounding the coax side of each transformer shouldn't
matter because the coax is so short. I'd ground the coax shields
since common mode isn't an issue with only five meters of coax.

My favorite Beverage transformer is the W8JI 2:5 turn ratio Beverage
matching transformer using a FairRite Products 2873000202 Type 73
ferrite binocular core. I use either telephone wire from an RJ-11
telephone cable, wire from a Cat 5 Ethernet cable or 30 AWG wirewrap
wire.

https://www.w8ji.com/core_selection.htm

73
Frank