[TowerTalk] Lubricating air variable capacitors

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 2 22:57:34 EDT 2005

You might want to look up Molydenum grease, or possibly litnium grease to
see if it is corrosive. (I cant rember which one I used, it came out of a
metal squeeze tube, and was an opaque, tan color grease)
Some years back I lubed the precision gears in the VFO/bandswitches in  an
old TCK 7 WWII vintage transmitter....  Check out this picture; behind the
chassis panel VFO dials are a machinists work of art (or nightmare,
depending...)  I'd really like to find out what the manufacturing cost of
these beauties were, at the time....400 watts out AM or CW, Pair of 813's
I'm betting some equivelant in todays dollars of  $50K or more....

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~navyradio/id14.html

(a machinists work of art, makes the R-390 mechanicals look simple) and was
shocked to see crusty oxides, corrosion of the gear teeth after a number of
months... Somewhere I looked up the chemical and found that it was
corrosive, if perhaps only to aluminum...

73, de Pat aa6eg at hotmail.com