[VHFcontesting] VE3WCC at FN04xa for June ARRL VHF QSO Party

Glenn MacDonell glennmacd at rogers.com
Sat Jun 1 11:15:38 EDT 2013

The West Carleton Amateur Radio Club of Ottawa will again operate VE3WCC Field Day style from FN04xa for the June ARRL VHF QSO Party.  Located at 730 feet ASL overlooking Lake Ontario, the location has a clear look to the horizon over more than 180 degrees centred on the south. This will be the sixth year of a multi-op effort from this site.  The site is near the intersection of 4 grids and has been popular with rovers for long before our use of it.  Although trees obstruct the view to one of the nearby grids at microwave frequencies the site allows good opportunities for communications on all frequencies.  We registered our highest score and the highest in in Canada in 2012 and placed 9th overall among multi-ops in the contest.  We are working to improve our score again this year!

Each of the past years we have added capability or power.  This year we will add 2304 MHz to our standard coverage of the bands from 6M through 1296 MHz.  We will run 800w at 2m and 1.5 kw at 6 m this year to single long boom yagis with lower powers on the other bands.  We will again have the capability to operate WSJT at 2 and 6m and are interested in setting up skeds for the quiet hours of Sunday morning.

Above 2304 MHz we will use shorter range wideband systems such as 10 GHz Tellurometers and 24GHz gunplexers.

Rovers who will be within range are asked to forward their rover schedules to VE3XRA.  Please include the grids squares and approximate times you plan to be in each, a list of bands you are able to operate, and the co-ordination frequency you will use.

We will set up on the site at long -78.00239 W, lat 44.01971 N on Friday June 7 and pack up Monday June 10.  Visitors are welcome to drop by.  Those rovers who will actually pass near FN04xa are welcome to stop by for a snack and hot coffee.  Directions to our location can be worked out easily from the track of VE3XRA-9 on 10 June 2011 on http:// aprs.fi that ends at the site!

Schedules are very welcome - please send requests to ve3xra at rac.ca.   We will have limited mobile access to internet at the site and can arrange skeds up to the start of the contest.