[AMPS] 50 MHz Amp Details

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 50 MHz Amp Details
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 23:28:54 +0000
Bob Marston wrote:
>a couple of very
>interesting pages are the Soviet GS-31 and GS-35b triodes. These tubes are
>their equivalent of the 3CX-800 and 8877.

These tubes are new to us in the West, but they were old designs before
the 3CX800 and 8877 were even thought of.

Actually, the GS-31 and GS-35 tubes are electrically the same, with only
a different anode cooler. They bear no resemblance to either Eimac tube.

>The MOST expensive price I've
>seen for the 35b is 1/3 of the 8877. Just illustrates how much Eimac and
>Richardson Electronics are ripping us off!

Be fair - Eimac have to pay real-world manufacturing costs, as do
Svetlana with their modern Russian tubes.

The rules of real-world economics don't apply to the old Russian tubes.
They cost precisely nothing - they just roll off the rear of a former
Red Army truck. The original manufacturing costs vanished within a
Soviet economy that doesn't even exist any more.

Now, all you pay is for the vodka, the middle-men and the shipping
costs. More constructively, if you buy direct from UR4LL
<alex@zcrb.kharkov.ua> a cut goes to the Kharkov hospital where Alex is
a doctor.

The older Russian tubes are cheap, rugged, great fun to use, and we can
get by very well with "product support" from users on the web... but
when they're gone, they're gone. Let's enjoy them while they last!

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek