[AMPS] No training in physics or algebra?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] No training in physics or algebra?
From: k7fm@teleport.com (Lamb)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 05:59:50 -0700
Rich said:

"... incredible, Phil.  The designer of the AL-1500, Charles Thomas
Rauch, Jun. claimed to be one of our recognized amplifier 'experts'
(9-94, QST) -- yet he has no training in physics, physics of electricity,
or algebra."

This statement is an interesting statement.  It is difficult to get through
high school without training in one of these subjects.  It would be
impossible to get an amateur license without studying these subjects.  And
since algebra is taught in grade school, it would be difficult to get out of
grade school without training in algebra.

I doubt the statement is true.  I do not know Tom Rauch, and it is possible
that he does not have a degree in one of the related topics, but I do not
know if that is relevant.  Bill Gates does not have a degree in computer
science.  Tom Edison did not have a degree in electrical engineering.
George Washington did not have a degree in Military Strategy.  The obvious
implication is that Rich has had training in one or more of the subjects
listed and that his view is therefore more credible.

I know of no college course known as Parasitic Network Science.  It would be
possible for Tom Rauch to have a Ph. D. in Physics and Mathematics and still
disagree with Rich on the use of suppressors, so I consider the statement
about his training to be high brow mud slinging rather than informative.

Let science and logic speak for itself.

73,  Colin  K7FM