Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use
From: bill weinel <tube_radio@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:41:01 -0500
Pete Smith wrote:
I'm interested in acquiring a used solid-state oscilloscope for ham use. I know this isn't the place to ask, but hope that people who hang out here can point me to a ham radio homebrew or similar mailing list where people would have good advice on which models, what to pay, etc. There are skillions of Google results based on searching for the above topics but nothing, so far, that looks like the right answer.

Hi Pete,

I'd recommend you look for a Tektronix 465M or a 465. Both are 100Mhz triggered sweep dual trace scopes, very common, and can be found at good prices. The 465 series also features an external trigger and a B'delayed trigger. These are handy for looking for signal timing / glitch issues. I have two 465Ms here, one I bought for $75 in working condition, the other I bought as a parts unit for $25 (It had a broken volts/div switch on one channel.) However, since it was such a nice unit I couldn't bring myself to junk it. So I repaired it and use it here in the shop as well.

As others have stated, I would go for a good quality analog scope over a digital scope. Digital scopess tend to be harder to fix. Also I don't think digital scopes provide as good a picture of whats happening in an analog signal as an analog scope does. This is due to the sampling/averaging nature of the digital scope. So unless you can afford to purchase one with a very high sampling rate, I would go for a good quality analog scope.

73 Bill W4WHW