Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use

To: carl seyersdahl <carlseye@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use
From: Bill Weinel <tube_radio@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:03:13 -0500
carl seyersdahl wrote:

So, I ll try again a little shorter .!! If anyone has a scope that's better
than my old "an/usm-117 (a real antique) Please let me know. I used several
HP's in the late 50's early 60's in govt work, but I don't recall the
no's.!!
they were pretty big, mounted on carts, and we used them mostly for RTTY
adjustments, etc.
  I'm not a beggar , but I have a few things I woul;d part with if I find
the right scope.!!! (but time is short)

Hi Carl,

I don't know if I can help out in the scope area as my 465Ms are not for sale. (...they are in daily use here in the shop fixing radios! :-) I do have a Hewlett Packard 120b scope available... However, I have not checked it out throughly and know only that it produces a trace when you power it up. (If your in real dire need, I'd consider parting with it for the right item.... )

But I suspect that you would be better off looking for a good used Tek 465 or 465M. I see them all the time on the auction sites going for $25-$100 each. Someone here earlier recommended a Tek 7000 series. I'd have to second that recommendation. The 7000 series is very reliable and also easily repairable. Plug-ins are readily available. If you don't need portability and only plan on using it on the bench, a 7000 would make an excellent shop scope. I've seen 7000 mainframes available on the usual auction sites as cheap as $10 each ....all though they usually fetch more like $30-$75 if in good condition. Plugins vary from $10-$100 each depending on model/quanity/condition. The other advantage to the 7000 series is that with the right plug-ins it can do duty as many different instruments. Check around on the web at the usual auction/surplus sites. Someones always moving out a bunch of scopes at a reasonable price somewhere. You just have to find 'where'. :-)

73 Bill W4WHW