RE: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use

To: "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Amps] Advice on instruments for ham use
From: "Chuck (Jack) Hawley" <c-hawley@uiuc.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:17:07 -0600
I would suggest any of the Tektronix 22xx or 24xx series scopes. I have had
and used 465, 475, and 485 series for many years and found them to be great
performers, except that the attenuator switches eventually go bad...noisy,
and are difficult to fix. I went for the 2215 at a ham fest after I retired
and it does most things I want. I also picked up a 454A which is also pretty
reliable and not as much trouble as the 4xx series. I would buy a 2465 if
the right one came along...then I would have plenty of bandwidth. I used to
need the most bandwidth I could get with digital electronics, but now just
for rf, I can get along with 60MHz (2215) or 150MHz which is what the 454A
does. I tend to stay away from the digital scopes...price, etc. but I guess
they are getting onto the used market and may be an alternative. They were
too slow for me back when I needed the 2 to 4 nS rise time, so I didn't have
any experience with them for the most part.
Chuck, KE9UW