Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts for SB-200 and SB-1000

To: Gary Smith <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts for SB-200 and SB-1000
From: R.Measures <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 04:33:18 -0800

On Dec 3, 2004, at 8:35 PM, Gary Smith wrote:

Good friend of mine Marion, KJ6DB, has my old 811H, sez it works so well he forgets about it. Amp is three or so years old, I had it wired on 220v, sent it to him he returned the jumpers on the xfrmr input board to 117v, operates it on 10 mtrs sees about 600 watts or so out, he drives it with an Icom 756, first model.

My .02 on this amp vs. say, the Heathkit: the SB-220 will operate 80 thru 10 (if it has the 10m mod kit in it) while the entire Ameritron line will operate 160 thru 15, warc bands included, 12/10 mtrs, owner modifiable.

To answer this question before you ask it , operating the SB-220 on 17/12 meters will strain the dickens out of the tank circuits with a severe loss of power output. This is what I asked Jim Harbach the heathkit mods guy, I am repeating what he told me.

Hello, Gary -- There is an approximate 10% increase in tank circulating current through the bandswitch by operating a SB-220, TL-922, L4, et cetera on 12m (using 10m position) or operating on 17m (using 15m position) -- but the strain is easily offset by decreasing the anode supply V -- i. e., using the CW tap on the HV to reduce the RF current..
- note - due to skin effect, the additional heat is greater on 12m operation

I know I maybe accused of beating the Ameritron drum too hard, but they are a fairly modern design assembled with modern (read easily available) components for the bands we have available to us at what I consider a more than fair price.

- Unless Ameritron amplifiers use more tank L for 12m than they use for 10m, they have the same tradeoff on 12m as the SB-220, TL-922, et cetera.
- The Ameritron amplifiers that I have seen use no forced air cooling on the bandswitch or tank L, and they use tank L conductor sizes that do not adequately compensate for skin effect on 20m - 10m.

73 and so-forth,
Gary, WA6FGI

Oh how I wish for an new Alpha 99 and a Christmas tree full of neon bulbs so I could light them up with no wires attached.

An 8171 does a better job -- and you can light up the neighbors' Christmas trees too.

Richard L. Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org