Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts for SB-200 and SB-1000

To: AMPS <AMPS@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts for SB-200 and SB-1000
From: "Kim Elmore" <Kim.Elmore@noaa.gov>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:33:11 -0600
What Rich says is plenty good enough. But if you don't want to change anything, there's another trick. When I was in a condo, I found that there were two 120 VAC outlets on different phases in relatively close proximity. I simply made up two extension cords, one from each outlet, and ran them into a box in which I mounted the appropriate 240 VAC outlet. Each of the "hot" (black) sides went to each side of the 240 VAC outlet, and, since I had no need for 120 VAC from this system, I used the grounds as the 3rd prong. The neutrals were simply not connected to anything. Worked great, still had circuit protection appropriate for the wiring, and made no permanent changes to anything. My Dad currently uses this for 240 VAC in his shack, as there is no other source for it.

Yes, I'll probably burn in NEC hell for this, but... Eh.

Kim Elmore, N5OP