Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts for SB-200 and SB-1000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Current draw at 110 volts for SB-200 and SB-1000
From: "Steve Thompson" <g8gsq@ic24.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:17:50 -0000
Michael Tope wrote:
> I run my Drake L-7 off a 110V drop and it seems to do fine. I get
> about 1200 watts output with 100 watts of drive. Checking it just
> now, line voltage drops from 117.7 to 111.7 VAC when I go key down
> with maximum exciter drive (about 100 watts). There is a small, but
> perceptible dimming of the lights in the shack and hallway (the
> circuit in the hallway drops about 1.5 VAC when I key the amplifier).

Part of the problem is that the current the amp pulls (or tries to pull) is
not like a resistive load but is taken in big gulps for a short period. The
peak current is many (typ 5-10) times the 'average' you work out from the dc
input. The drop from this tends not to show to its full extent on ac voltage
readings and dimming lights, but does hit the ht in the amp.

Steve